Wednesday, February 08, 2006

 

Oldboy

Oldboy: 2003
Language: Korean
Director: Chan Woo Park



Boy... this was really nasty and a bit psycho-stuff...
I came to know about this movie from a fellow who told me that Oldboy is the original, from which Zinda a 2005 bollywood movie is ripped off (inspired) from. I never had the stomach to watch Zinda...but then I didnt had to...I watched the original instead...

Yes, the story line was really twisted...
possibly, one of the most twisted plots I have seen till date... that I recollect...
It started off nicely...the scene where the guy with the white dog asks, "I am a beast, but eventhen...do I not deserve to live?" was very well placed... which gets clear in the end...
Ah yes, the hammer on the teeth and the tongue chops were a little difficult for me to watch...i turned my face away...

And the climatic scenes, where the real reasons for the 15yr imprisonment are reavealed...was a personal letdown for me...i was expecting better...
Somehow, I don't find the shame that is a consequence of the public disgrace that incest between a brother and sister serious enough for a girl to end her life... but ofcourse that is a personal opinion... but nonethe less...it was well executed...and it gave the entire sequence a very novel look...

Did you notice, that the fight sequence between the hammer clad protagonist and the mob at the corridor was all a one-shot sequence... good stuff...

It is on the IMDB top 250 list possibly beacuse of the novelty of the plot and the overall fantastic quality ... I would have rated it a little lower though....

Thoroughly entertaining though, a must watch...these Koreans are great...






Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?