Sunday, January 01, 2006
Spartacus
Spartacus (1960)
Dir: Stanley Kubric

There are those movies with which you fall in love with within 5 mins of playing, Spartacus is one of them...
Spartacus (1960)
Dir: Stanley Kubric

Spartacus, a Stanley Kubric direction, with Kurk Doughlas (father of the very fortunate Michael Doughlas) as Spartacus. Set about 2000 years ago, S is the story of a slave, being trained as a gladiator, who leads a revolt against slavery...
This fantastically inspiring movie is a lavish 3hr14min long, but time passes sooner than you would expect to...
Fanatical attention to detail...makes the scenery and cast very believable...and the Roman Empire alive in front of your eyes...
Peter Ustinov, playing Lentulus Batiatus, did an amazing job. Ustinov's very likeable character, Batiatus, is a tactful, polite and right-hearted owner of the gladiators. It was he who picked up spartacus from a stone mine impressed by his animal frevour, and brought him to his gladiator school to fight in the mighty Colosseum of Rome.. The rebellion begins from his estates and soon spreads like wild fire. He manages to escape at the nick of time. He won an oscar for his role of a supporting actor, the movie winning three other oscars...
Fanatical attention to detail...makes the scenery and cast very believable...and the Roman Empire alive in front of your eyes...
Peter Ustinov, playing Lentulus Batiatus, did an amazing job. Ustinov's very likeable character, Batiatus, is a tactful, polite and right-hearted owner of the gladiators. It was he who picked up spartacus from a stone mine impressed by his animal frevour, and brought him to his gladiator school to fight in the mighty Colosseum of Rome.. The rebellion begins from his estates and soon spreads like wild fire. He manages to escape at the nick of time. He won an oscar for his role of a supporting actor, the movie winning three other oscars...
This is the first Kirk Doughlas movie I have seen, and I suppose it's his best...
There is this scene when Spartacus is with his new found girlfriend, Varinia. They are shown sitting on the grass. Spartacus is silent, shown in profound thought, when she pops the question..."what are you thinking?"...
Ha Ha...ever happened to you? I remember, each time I used to be with my girlfriend, and I would be quiet for some 5 minutes, she would ask....always..."what are you thinking about?"...
I never found out the right answer to that question. I remember, sitting with Giampaolo, during my stay in Italy, this summers. His girlfriend, Angie, was sitting in front of him... I was busy talking to another of my friends... G was quiet for something not greater than seven minutes...and I heard her ask him, "Borti (his nick-name), what are you thinking about?". When we were alone, I shared my similar experience with him, and he agreed to my observation. I never knew the "correct" answer to this question, my honest answers often led to a puzzled look on her face. We were never together that long, that I would be able to device a more appropriate answer...now, I don't need to...
However Spartacus did.
These are some pictures of Kirk Doughlas and Stanley Kubric, I found while browsing for Spartacus posters...

Kirk and Doughlas in Discussion, on the Sets...

And again...

And again...
There is this scene when Spartacus is with his new found girlfriend, Varinia. They are shown sitting on the grass. Spartacus is silent, shown in profound thought, when she pops the question..."what are you thinking?"...
Ha Ha...ever happened to you? I remember, each time I used to be with my girlfriend, and I would be quiet for some 5 minutes, she would ask....always..."what are you thinking about?"...
I never found out the right answer to that question. I remember, sitting with Giampaolo, during my stay in Italy, this summers. His girlfriend, Angie, was sitting in front of him... I was busy talking to another of my friends... G was quiet for something not greater than seven minutes...and I heard her ask him, "Borti (his nick-name), what are you thinking about?". When we were alone, I shared my similar experience with him, and he agreed to my observation. I never knew the "correct" answer to this question, my honest answers often led to a puzzled look on her face. We were never together that long, that I would be able to device a more appropriate answer...now, I don't need to...
However Spartacus did.
These are some pictures of Kirk Doughlas and Stanley Kubric, I found while browsing for Spartacus posters...

Kirk and Doughlas in Discussion, on the Sets...

And again...

And again...
